Thursday, September 22, 2011

Letters

"Letters are among the most significant memorial a person can leave behind them." 
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart. "
 ~Phyllis Theroux

On Monday someone very special to me passed away; my great Aunt Ellen, at the age of 91. These two quotes summarize my memories of her perfectly. I didn't get to see her very often at all, but she wrote me letters and sent me cards that I have saved for years. Her letters to me are one of my most treasured keepsakes. 

As soon as I had been told that she had passed away, I wanted my letters from home. I wanted to read the words she wrote to me and feel like I still had a piece of her memory with me. Tonight, my parents brought me my letters and I poured over them for about an hour. I couldn't get over how beautiful the letters were. I hadn't read a lot of these in a while, some of them dating back to 2004, but I honestly think they mean more to me now than they did then and they meant a lot to me then. 

As I sat there reading her words of wisdom and encouragement to me, I couldn't help but wish I could have one more letter from her, or at least that I would have written her at least one more time. But I have hope, because I know that she is in heaven with her king, and one day we will be reunited. 

You never know what a simple letter could do for someone, even years later. As a 14 year old saving these letters, I never thought they would help me once I was in college. But I am so glad that I saved them. Take time and write someone you love a letter. It might mean the world to them. 

No comments: