Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Facebook Fast


Today marks the beginning of Lent. I decided that I am again going to be giving up Facebook for the Lenten season. I had never given up anything for lent before coming to Concordia, it wasn't something that I had ever even heard of. But I love the idea of taking something out of our lives for a time to refocus on our relationship with God.

If you know me at all, you know that I am on Facebook an awful lot.  I post pictures, songs, statuses, blog posts 24/7. It is the main way I connect to people and let them know I am thinking about them. But it has taken over my time... not as much as it used to, but it has still creeped its way back in and taken over my quite time with God.

Last year, I started out my mornings with 5 minutes on my Facebook and email, and 10 minutes doing my devotions. So far this school year? 30 minutes on Facebook and email, no devotions, and not getting to eat breakfast most mornings. I came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that something needs to change.

I read a blog post earlier by someone else that explained why giving up Facebook is so hard. It is not simply giving up something that is distracting us from God, it is giving up almost a part of ourselves. We don't know what to do with ourselves if we don't check our Facebook every 5 minutes. We are giving up control over things we don't have control over- the feeling of being loved and needed when you have notifications or messages. But here is reality- are people honestly going to stop caring about us because they can't tell us on Facebook? No.

So here is my Lent Resolution, and I want people to hold me to it;
- I will not be on Facebook for any reason until Lent is over.
- I will spend time reading my Bible and in prayer and communication with God at least once per day.
- I will use the time I am not on Facebook wisely whether it be spending time with God, with others, by myself, or doing homework.

So, this is it. 40 days. Here we go!

No comments: