Friday, July 20, 2012

Do I have to do it or do I want to do it?

It's finally Friday. For some reason, the weeks have gone by so quickly this summer. I have to admit though I am ready for a break for a few days. I have blogged about this a lot this summer, but the question is still on my mind- What are you going to do today to make today stand out from yesterday? To make it not just "another Friday" but a day that you will maybe remember a few weeks, or even months from now? I want every day of my life to be an adventure, not just "another day".

I have less than 30 days of summer left. So, I have decided that every day I am going to come up with a game plan, or a goal of at least one exciting adventure that I want to complete that day, or over the next few days. My goal for this weekend- Scan a bunch of my old pictures and documents laying around my room so that they don't eventually get destroyed. This is not a small feat- I have hundreds of pictures probably just sitting in a box waiting to be looked at. I have tons of papers that I need to save to help study for my Child Life certification exam in a few years. And yet, they are all sitting in piles in my room waiting for me to get the initiative to do something with them. Well, that day has arrived. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have everything saved to a couple of DVD's and I will feel a bit better knowing my documents are safe and won't get destroyed by me. I have been on a big organizational kick this summer... my room is fairly organized, not totally done yet but we are getting there.

So why am I telling you this? Simply because I want to tell you about every random detail that goes through my head? Of course not. I am telling you simply because of this- A little over a year or two ago I realized something, My life up to that point had been a life of "Because I have too." It was never because I wanted too, it was never because I was passionate about something, it was because I felt like I had to do whatever it was in order to be the person that everyone else wanted me to be. But then- I came to realize that my life can be whatever I choose to make it. Everyday can be an adventure if I choose to make it one. And that is why I am telling you all of this. I don't want whoever is reading this to live a life of "I have to." I want you to live a life of "I want to!" I want to change my life, I want to be happy, I want to be healthy. I want to be the person God created me to be. God didn't create us to be creatures of "I have to." That is why he gave us free will. We have to choose to love him, to follow him to trust him. We can't just do it because we feel like it is what we are supposed to do. We will be miserable. So that is my random thought for you today. Are you going to have an attitude of "I have to!" or "I want to be the person God created me to be!"

No comments: