Sunday, March 29, 2015

2 Weeks. It's Beautiful.


2 weeks. I can't believe it was only two weeks ago to the hour that I was on my way back to Shelterwood from Walmart balling my eyes out, wondering if I had made the biggest mistake of my life moving here. And now? I feel as if I have lived here forever. This feels like home, I even fell asleep on our living room floor earlier today, and am finally learning how to navigate around Independence and that is a wonderful feeling :) Its really hard to post an update on my life.... I can't really write a whole lot about what goes on here at the house for confidentiality reasons, but in reality it's hard to even put into words what I'm thinking and feeling and experiencing. God is definitely at work, I have learned SO much about myself even from mostly observing and interacting with the other bigs. It is humbling, and incredible to me that these kids already trust me quite a bit and they've only known me for a few weeks. It is incredible to me to see their faith growing day by day, and watching their hearts begin to heal. It was incredible to meet most of their parents this weekend and hear their stories, and learn about my kids lives outside of the wood. The best way to describe Shelterwood? Beautiful. The idea of beauty coming from pain has never been so real to me. I'm surrounded by some of the most gorgeous scenery I have ever lived in. I get to praise Jesus at work 24/7 in every aspect of my job. This job has shown me how sacred, precious, and beautiful the simplest things in life can be. It has made me take a step back and recognize how lucky I am to have things such as email, my computer, my phone, Facebook, and whatnot as my kids do not have these luxuries. It has made me realize how loved I feel when I get a letter, or someone sends me a note because they are thinking of me. It has been said that Shelterwood is like a purging process- it brings out all of the "dross" just like when gold is refined. The experiences with the kids remind of us of our own impurities and struggles and bring them right up to the surface in a way I cannot even describe. It is painful, frustrating and tiring. But it is so incredibly beautiful, I can barely begin to put it into words.

So here is my random thought of the day for you: How can you see beauty in your day to day life? What feels like it is killing you but in reality is probably refining you? The process is so hard, but I promise it will be worth it in the end. I also ask that you continue praying for me throughout this journey at Shelterwood, as God is revealing my true self.


No comments: