Thursday, March 19, 2015

Shelterwood: A New Version of "Normal"

So I've officially been at the 'wood for a little over 36 hours now, and I am finally beginning to settle in. I officially unpacked the last box and hung up the last picture on my wall last night, and it is SUCH a relief to know where all my stuff is, and not feel like I am having to search for something every time I need it.

I've wanted to post an update, but in some ways I don't know what to say. The past three days have been such a whirlwind of 'new' that I can't really find words to summarize it all. There has been a ton of good, some bad, and some just simply frustrating most of which comes from the fact that I am new.

I've met a ton of awesome people, both staff and kids. I've already seen firsthand the challenges and the incredible benefits of a residential setting. I know I am going to love it here, I just gotta finish settling in ;)

I miss the familiarity of home, but at the same time I love this new adventure. I love seeing my schooling come to life, and interacting with these kids on a daily basis. I love that Jesus is the center of what we are doing and I can freely talk about my faith at work.

Over the past few days I have kept saying I just want my 'normal' life. I miss 'normal' things. But in reality? Shelterwood is my new version of normal. One of the leaders of my training made an interesting comment saying that what is seen as "normal" behavior for teens to us, is not normal to the kids in the program so we need to constantly reinforce what normal is.

Overall, this has already been a great life experience so far, and I can't wait to see how God changes my life over the course of this year! If you'd like to hear more specifics about how I am doing, feel free to message or call me! I'd love to share with you!! :)

No comments: