Thursday, August 2, 2012

You Are Making Me New

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:18-19

My friend Stephanie posted this verse earlier today; it was definitely something I needed to hear. Sometimes, I get so wrapped up in the past that I truly forget about my life now and my future ahead of me. I was thinking about some stuff that I have done in the past, and I was thinking "How could I have been so dumb?! Why did I do those things?!" 

Many people don't know this, but I struggle with anxiety. It is a challenge for me to go places that there are going to be a lot of people, especially parties or large group settings. Usually, I have a pretty good handle on it, but sometimes I really don't. Sometimes I literally have to get up and leave a room because it is too much for me to handle. It is embarrassing. Especially because most of the time I can't explain why I need to leave, I just know I need too. I get frustrated easily, and get too easily wrapped up in what I think people think.

This may seem unconnected to what I wrote above. But here is the thing- when I have an anxiety attack and don't react in ways I want too, I think about it for days afterwards. I think about how embarrassed I get and how much I wish I would have done things differently. I dwell on the past and let the scenario run through my mind over and over again. God doesn't want us to live our lives like this. He doesn't want us to dwell in the past. He wants us to be here, now, present. Not worrying about what we could have done differently, or what we think we should have done, or what other people think about us.

I really love this quote "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift from God. That is why we call it  the present!" I am currently working through my anxiety problems. God is making me a new person- a person free from anxiety and ready to enjoy this glorious present he has given me and help me to stop dwelling in the past. So here is my random thought of the day for you- Stop dwelling in the past. Stop beating yourself up for the things you wish you could have done differently. The past is behind you, but you have your entire future to try again. He loves you, and he has called you to a life that is far greater than how you are living right now. You just need to trust him.

No comments: