Sunday, August 5, 2012

Don't Let Go- Hold On To Every Moment


Someone once told me that in order to find out what we are supposed to do with our lives, we need to find out what we are truly passionate about. We need to find the thing that breaks us down to our core and we would do anything in the world to make it stop. I found mine a long time ago, and yet every Sunday it is reaffirmed in my mind. Two words: Pediatric Cancer.

Most of you know I volunteer on the cancer floor at Mott. I have known for years that I wanted to work with kids with cancer. I have been told I shouldn't- it is too heartbreaking, they are very sick, how will I feel if they don't make it? And yet it is at this place I find hope.

Every week I see kids who are so sick that some are not allowed to leave their rooms. I have kids with so many tubes and lines running out of them I can barely count them. I have kids who constantly feel like they are going to be sick, and are barely able to do anything. I have high schoolars who aren't sure if they are going to be able to play sports in the fall, and they wonder what their friends are going to think of them without any hair. I have kids who can barely speak, and all they want you to do is sit and watch spongebob with them. Some may find this terribly depressing- I find it inspiring.

These kids, these families- they know the value of life, of every moment of every day. They know what it means to trust Jesus. Just today, a man was sharing the gospel with another family outside of his very sick son's hospital room. They know how important it is to say I love you before leaving, the meaning of one more hug. They aren't worried about what their house looks like, or if they are going to be able to have the new fashions for the next school year. They aren't out buying Coach purses and flat screens.  Instead, they are buying bubbles so they can enjoy some giggles and smiles with their four year old. I want the desire for life that these families have. I want the urgency of the fact that we aren't promised another day. I want to live a life of love and service to those around me. I want to make a difference.

Cancer makes me very angry- I don't want these kids to suffer anymore. I want a cure more than anything else in the world. These children have their childhoods robbed from them and it just isn't fair. If you get nothing else from this post, know this- Life is precious. Let your kids do the silly things they want to do. Let them live life to the fullest. Let them enjoy the beautiful childhood God has given them. But I also want you to know this- Pediatric Cancer is very real, and takes lives every moment of every day. Please join with me in the fight for these children. If nothing else, pray for them. Pray for their doctors, their parents, their siblings, their friends. These precious fighters need all the prayer warriors they can get.

No comments: