Saturday, August 11, 2012

Change is Coming


Fall is right around the corner. It's hard to believe considering I still feel like summer just started. I love the change in seasons- the gorgeous colors of the trees and the cool fall nights. I love when the leaves fall off the trees and everywhere you walk you can hear them crunching. 

I was thinking today about all the changes that are coming for me this fall. Every day I am having to convince myself to not be worried about it and to trust that everything will be great. Don't get me wrong- I am beyond excited to go back to school. There is just such a great amount of unknown that it makes me uncomfortable.

I was going to write something to my friend Stephanie on Facebook earlier today and I saw one of her statuses from a few days ago; "Have no fear that the leaves are falling, it just means you are changing seasons. Let the tears fall as they may. Maybe something beautiful will spring up. Sometimes the dirt has to be ravaged before the pretty little seed can burst up in joy again." It totally made me stop in my tracks and look at this coming fall and other changes in our life from a new perspective. Every time change happens, we are entering a new season of life. We may be thrilled about the change, (winter to spring) or really unhappy (fall to winter). We are going to have gorgeous days (think blue skys, 75 degrees) and nasty days (snow.) But you can't have seasons without both. It just wouldn't be right. Our lives are the same way. 

I don't like that a new season is coming. I want the sunny and 75 days to stick around 24/7, but that isn't how life works. It's okay that the leaves are changing color and falling, it's okay if I cry. This season of my life is coming to an end. And while I may not like it, God may need to do some work in my life and let me rest during the winter before the new flowers of spring can burst through the soil again. There are going to be moments of this season that I love, and moments that I wish didn't happen. But through it all I know this- God is in control of the weather. He isn't going to let anything happen during this season that I can't handle with his help.

So here we go. A new season is coming, and instead of trying to fight it, and keep convincing myself that maybe I can stop it, I am going to start trying to embrace it. 

No comments: