Wednesday, May 18, 2011

7x70


"Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." 
Matthew 18:21- 22


I just found this song by Chris August a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. When I was younger, I used to read this verse and think "Yes! after I forgive them 490 times I don't have to forgive them anymore!" But thats not what Jesus meant. Jesus forgives everyone, millions of times throughout their lifetime. He keeps record of no wrongs. We sin so much, yet he still wants us in heaven with him, so he continues to forgive us. 
Every once in a while, I will start to think "They hurt me too much. I cannot forgive them. It is just impossible." But I have recently started looking at it as- How many people have hurt Jesus? And yet, he forgives them over and over and over again. 
This isn't saying forgiveness is easy- it is a very hard thing to do. It is a painful, and sometimes a long process, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary. It may hurt us as we go through the process, but in the long run, forgiveness is freeing and can help you to move forward. 

This is part of the lyrics from the song above that I really like:

God picked up my heart and helped me through
And shined a light on the one thing left to do
And that’s forgive you
I forgive you

Forgiveness isn't always an easy thing to do, but if we are willing to work on forgiving someone, God will help us through the pain, heal our broken hearts and help us to forgive the person/ people that we need too. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So true
...and wanna know something freaky I was just listening/watching this video today lol :D