Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hold Me

This is one of my favorite songs by Jonny Diaz. I am in a spot like this right now... I have made a decision, and I am going to stay on the path that he has led me to no matter how strongly the storms  rage around me. I know I will make it through, but some days it is just hard. It's hard to not keep sitting here and try to convince myself that it is going to be an easy journey. I think sometimes as Christians we forget that. God never promised that it was going to be an easy journey, in fact he promised challenges along the way. I hate not knowing what is coming ahead. I hate not knowing each detail before it takes place- I hate surprises and last minute ideas. But this is how God works, and it is something that I am trying to get used too. A wise friend once told me that God told us he would be a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. Not a giant headlight showing everything that is ahead of us for miles to come. He lights our path as we go, not the whole path at once. If he did that, we would never stumble, never fall, never need him, and that isn't how God works. I feel like this part of the song sums it up:

I cannot see the ending,
I cannot pretend the seas,
are calm ahead...
And the only thing that, 

I can ever cling to is what you've said.


I know that God is using all of this to make me into a stronger person, and I'm thankful for the struggles that I do have. I wish that would make it easier, but it does help give it a new perspective. Just remember, whatever you are going through, God is going to light your path and hold you through it until the end, no matter how scared we are of the future. 

No comments: